In the coming years, the reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation will be moved to the spring of 9th grade. This is a change that will be taking place throughout our whole Diocese. Sacred Hearts will be gradually making this shift by preparing the incoming 10th and 11th graders this fall and then confirming them in the spring of 2017. The following spring, 2018, we will confirm both 9th and 10th graders. Then in the spring of 2019 we will confirm just the 9th graders. This change will help us refocus our understanding of the sacrament as a moment of grace that is meant to provide strength for living out the faith throughout our high school years and beyond, rather than marking the end of the road.
Formation in our parish for high school youth will begin to shift to a four year process, with an emphasis on small group communities and formation that helps our teens to become lifelong disciples. This will help reinforce the message that we are never going to be “done” growing in our knowledge of the Catholic faith.
To help bridge the gap between school years, we plan to increase opportunities for summertime activity and formation, with things like local mission trips, prayer nights, and small group gatherings.
Due to this age change, we made some changes to our Christian Formation Program and Confirmation Classes.
10th Grade Confirmation
- Tenth graders will still meet regularly on Wednesday nights. These classes will meet both their Christian Formation and Confirmation requirements.
11th Grade Confirmation
- The majority of our 11th Grade Confirmation Classes will be held on Sunday evenings starting at 6:30PM in the Church Basement and will run to 8:15PM. *Please note on the schedule for the exceptions.
In order to prepare for Confirmation, the students are expected to:
- Choose a Sponsor (a practicing Catholic who is not bound by any Church penalty who the student feels close to);
- Complete 35 service hours in the three areas of family, community, and church;
- Attend a Confirmation Retreat, and
- Participate in a spring interview with a Parish Staff member.
10th Grade 2016 -2017 Christian Formation and Confirmation Schedule
11th Grade 2016-2017 Confirmation Class Schedule